A lot of debate is occurring around how to fund core development efforts. I’m personally not a fan of block reward funding (let’s leave that debate for a different topic) so have been thinking a lot of how we can get this done. Projects like Gitcoin Grants are great but I’m not sure they are covering the true cost we need to properly fund Eth 2.0 and its research for years to come.
I think Ethereum 2.0 teams should build in funding options for users natively into the user experience. How I envision this working is a user is presented with a screen that asks if they’d like to participate in funding certain teams. To start this could be simple and just list Eth 2.0 teams, the EF and some core Eth 2.0 researchers.
The huge benefits I see in this over core protocol block reward funding are as follows:
- Not open to capture as users are directly pointing their own funds to certain teams and can turn off at any point
- Could be set on by default and most users would just accept it
- Allows for incremental build out of how to manage the funds over time with a simple solution being the first step (directly to team addresses)
- Takes out all governance debate as again it’s up the the user
- Validators are much more in line with devs and the future of the network than miners and I think we’d see a good response
Would love to know thoughts.