How to turn the enthusiast's time and energy to useful outcome

Ethereum community is the biggest of all crypto community. Energy and enthusiasm are unparallel. How to utilize the energy of the community in a positive way? by using their free time to buidl.

Disciplined army of 100 with better tools and systems can beat mob of 10000.
Here are some of my thoughts to channelize and organize 1000s of enthusiasts and produce a useful outcome.

1. Curate all the contribution guidelines from 100s of projects (example ethhub needs translators, Prysm labs need testnet runners, Balance.io need IOS tester, Open law needs lawyers) and present it to contributors based on their skills and interests. (Example Guide for Spanish translators: http://buidl.guide/languages/spanish)
  2. Crowdsourced dapp Ideas from 1000s of people for hackathons, students, etc. (here is the list of ideas for developers: https://buidl.guide/ideas)
  3. Community marketing for effort for non-ico, non-profit projects like Uniswap, ethhub, etc.

I have started https://build.guide to achieve this. I am looking for more insights, suggestions, feedbacks, ideas, etc.

1 Like
How to introduce Ethereum to the general public?

One problem that has admittedly always been around is the plethora of tools, packages, and binaries that are often needed to be involved as an early tester. Take the latest eth2 release from Prysm as an example - it may not be difficult for seasoned developers to participate, but we should strive to make it easy for everyone to get involved. We need a low friction way of letting enthusiasts participate in early phase testing. I think docker has gotten us close, but it almost seems like there needs to be some orchestration service above Docker. If we can get as close to “download-and-run to participate” as possible, I think it would go a long way for the health of the ecosystem.

personally I think it’s fine for early single client testnets to only be accessible to sophisticated users. hopefully the rollout will be refined as time goes on. asking for more at this point puts undue burden on the 2.0 client teams

2 Likes

A good suggestion is to help the community by corraling efforts. I think there is a thread about decentralized product management in Ethereum Magicians, and how we can attempt to get two or more parties developing similar projects to collaborate together, leveraging the FOSS mindset for the win. I think that’s very important, to recognize when two groups are better off combining efforts, and when they’re better off doing separate things. An outside perspective really helps!

1 Like

Another helpful thing is to have people use your project, giving you feedback on features and documentation gaps that could really help things come through. I think developing a culture where we all try each other’s projects, and give really good constructive criticism on how to make them better is so, so key. Unlike traditional capitalism, where everything is in competition, the collaborative nature of Web3 business models and the ideology of the community can really help accelerate things if we get good at filtering noise and identifying the best paths forward together.

3 Likes